My instant pot chicken shawarma rice is a complete meal version of the classic shawarma. Full of gorgeous middle eastern taste.
Instant pot chicken shawarma rice
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil Olive oil would also be good.
- 2 tbsp Butter I used salted.
- 1 Whole Onion (roughly chopped)
- 5 Cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- Season to taste
- 700 g Chicken breast (diced) Thigh would also work - add 1 minute to time under pressure.
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Sumac
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 700 ml Chicken stock
- 500 g Basmati rice Rinsed.
- Set the pot to saute and add the oil and butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the onion and fry until softened (around 3 minutes).
- Now add the garlic and season to taste. Add the chicken and roughly brown.
- Add all of the dried spices and stir together (smells amazing!).
- Add the stock and deglaze the pot if necessary.
- Now add the rice but DO NOT STIR. Put the lid on the pot and set on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, leave under pressure for another 5 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Once the pin has dropped, remove the lid and serve everything together.
- Serve and enjoy.
I served mine with a garlic yoghurt sauce, but it's fine without.
Don't worry if you can't find sumac in your local store. Either leave it out or add a couple of tbsp's of lemon juice instead (there isn't really an alternative and if you can find some it adds a lovely lemony taste to the dish).
If you have enjoyed my recipe for instant pot chicken shawarma rice, please take a look at some of my other great rice-based recipes:
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave them in the box below and I would be delighted to help.