Welcome to my instant pot shepherd's pie recipe. All made in one pot and even topped with crispy golden mash.
Instant pot shepherd's pie
- 2 tbsp Olive oil Most vegetable oils will be good.
- 1 Large Onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- 2 tsp Thyme (dried)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (dried)
- 700 g Minced lamb
- 2 Sticks Celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 Medium Carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 400 ml Beef stock Vegetable stock would also work.
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- Season to taste
- 1.1 kg Potatoes (peeled)
- 200 g Frozen peas Optional.
- 100 ml Milk (I used semi-skimmed - 2%)
- 2 tbsp Butter I used salted.
- 100 g Cheese (for the topping) Optional.
- Add the oil to the instant pot and set to saute.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and fry until softened (around 3 minutes).
- Add the garlic, thyme and then the mince. Roughly brown.
- Now add the carrots, celery, Worcester sauce, beef stock and tomato puree. Stir everything together.
- Season to taste and then add the tall trivet to the pot. Put the peeled potatoes on the trivet.
- Put the lid on and set for 12 minutes at high pressure. leave under pressure for another 12 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and put the potatoes in a bowl. Mash together with milk, butter and salt/pepper. Add the frozen peas.
- Add the potatoes back into the pot and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Put the air fryer lid on and set to broil for 8 minutes.
- Remove the lid, serve and enjoy.
If you don't have a tall trivet, a steam basket will also work.
You could use minced beef instead of lamb, but this would make it cottage pie, not shepherd's pie.
I made it using the 8l (8qt) instant pot crisp, but it would work in all of the pots. if you don't have the air fryer lid, just remove the filling and potatoes to an oven-proof dish and finish in the traditional way.