My instant pot barbacoa beef is guaranteed to give you a perfect reminder of your Mexican favourite. Better than you'd get in a restaurant as well.
Instant pot barbacoa beef
My instant pot barbacoa beef is guaranteed to give you a perfect reminder of your Mexican favourite. Better than you'd get in a restaurant as well.Print Pin Rate
- Instant pot
- 2 tbsp Olive oil Most other vegetable oils will work.
- 908 g Beef joint (chuck roast)
- Season to taste
- 1 Large Onion (roughly chopped)
- 6 Cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 Whole Green chili (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Ground clove
- 3 Whole Bay leaves
- 3 Whole Chipotles in adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Whole Lime (juiced)
- 200 ml Beef stock Vegetable stock or water would also be fine.
- Add 1tbsp of the oil to the pot and set to saute. Season the beef well and when the oil is hot, brown the beef on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining tbsp of oil and then add the onions. Fry for around 3 minutes until softened
- Now add the garlic, chili, oregano, cumin, clove and bay leaves. Mix everything together.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and put the beef back into the pot (along with any juices).
- Stir everything together and put the lid back on the pot. Set on high pressure for 60 minutes. When the time is up, leave under pressure for another 15 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Shred the beef into the sauce with 2 forks or with an electric blender.
- Optional step: Put the air fryer lid on and set to broil for 8 minutes. Turn the beef halfway.
- Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream, salsa, coriander (cilantro) and guacamole - perfect!
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 202mg | Potassium: 641mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 77IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 5mg