My instant pot Jamaican chicken curry is guaranteed to warm you up this winter. Full of taste and probably the hottest curry I've ever made.
Instant pot Jamaican chicken curry
My instant pot Jamaican chicken curry is guaranteed to warm you up this winter. Full of taste and probably the hottest curry I've ever made.Print Pin Rate
Pot in pot rice
- 500 g Long grain rice (rinsed and drained)
- 750 ml Water (cold)
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil Sunflower, olive, rapeside (canola) and ghee will also work.
- 1 Whole Onions (roughly chopped)
- 6 Cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (around a thumb sized piece - roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp Jamaican curry powder
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried)
- 1 Whole Scotch bonnet chili (roughly chopped)
- Season to taste
- 908 g Chicken thighs (skinless and boneless)
- 454 g Potatoes (diced)
- 150 ml Water
- If doing pot in pot rice, rinse under cold water until the water runs clear and set aside.
- Set the pot to saute and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot add the onions followed by the garlic and ginger. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the curry powder, thyme and scotch bonnet chili. Season to taste and mix together.
- Now add the chicken, potato and water. Mix again.
- Add a tall trivet followed by the rice in a suitable container. Add the water and salt to the rice.
- Put the lid on the pot and set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Leave under pressure for another 10 minutes and then do a quick release.
- When the pin drops, remove the rice and trivet. Now stir everything together.
- Serve over the rice and enjoy!
Calories: 615kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 834mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 66IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 3mg
The scotch bonnet chili adds a fabulous depth to the taste of this curry, but if it makes it too hot for you, just use a normal chili instead.
I hope you have enjoyed my recipe for instant pot Jamaican chicken curry. Please take a look at some of my other popular curry recipes:
For any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave them in the box below and I would be delighted to help.
I cannot believe the pot will not 'burn' with so little water and so many ingredients.......
I've made it lots of times and never had a burn notice. Have a go, I promise you won't regret it.