My instant pot chickpea tikka masala is a vegan friendly version of the takeaway classic. It’s really creamy and full of taste.
Instant pot chickpea tikka masala
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil Sunflower, olive or rapeseed (canola) oil will also work well.
- 2 Large Onions (roughly chopped)
- 5 Cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- Season to taste
- 1.2 Kg Chickpeas (3 tins - drain 2)
- 800 g Tinned tomato
- 150 g Frozen peas
- 400 g Coconut milk (tinned)
- 1 bunch Coriander (cilantro) To garnish.
Pot in pot rice
- 500 g Basmati rice (rinsed and drained)
- 700 ml Boiling water
- Set the pot to saute and add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions and fry until softened (around 5 minutes)
- Add the garlic followed by all of the spices. Season to taste.
- Drain 2 of the 3 cans of chickpeas and add followed by the 3rd tin including liquid. Stir everything together and deglaze if required.
- Add the 2 tins of tomatoes. DO NOT STIR.
- If doing pot in pot rice, add the tall trivet followed by the pre-prepared rice with boiling water.
- Put the lid on the pot and set to high pressure for 6 minutes. Once the time is up, leave under pressure for another 6 minutes and then do a quick release.
- When the pin drops, remove the lid followed by the rice and trivet.
- Add the frozen peas and tinned coconut milk and stir together.
- Allow the peas to warm through (around 2 minutes) and then serve over the rice garnished with coriander (cilantro) if desired.
I hope you have enjoyed my recipe for instant pot chickpea tikka masala. Please take a look at some of my other curry and
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave them in the box below and I would be delighted to help.