My instant pot KFC recipe is a healthy version of the takeaway favourite. Cooked using the air fryer setting on the new instant pot crisp.
Instant pot KFC
- 125 g Plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried)
- 1 tsp Basil (dried)
- 1 tsp Oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp Ginger (dried)
- 1 tsp Mustard powder
- 1 tsp Celery salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp White pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 908 g Chicken thighs (skin on) Breast, leg or a combination will work.
- 908 g Potatoes (chipped) With or without skin.
- 3 tbsp Sunflower oil Other vegetable oils will also work
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Basil
- Prepare the chips by cutting potatoes into shape and soaking in cold water (this helps to remove some starch).
- Mix all the herbs and spices for the chicken with the flour.
- Dip the chicken in water or sunflower oil and then coat liberally with the spice mixture.
- Place the chicken into your air fryer, skin side up and set to air fry for 20 minutes (turn twice and add extra spices each time if you have any leftover.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking pre-heat the oven to 150C (300F) and prepare the chips. Drain the chips and coat with the oil and spice mixture.
- Remove the chicken to a baking tray and place in a pre-heated oven at 150C (300F).
- Place the chips into the air fryer (no need to clean) and set to air fry for 20 minutes. Turn a couple of times to help them crisp evenly.
- When the time is up serve with the chicken.
I used the instant pot crisp to make this, however the instant pot vortex or other air fryers should work just as well.
The chicken was succulent and really tasty. Not exactly the same as KFC, but much less greasy and still really good.