My instant pot Italian beef sandwich is a perfect blend of juicy beef and delicious crusty bread with a gorgeous gravy.
You can also have it as a super low carb meal by leaving out the bread and serving it with a big green salad instead. This makes it a great recipe for anybody doing a keto diet.
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwich
- 1.4 kg Braising steak (chuck roast)
- 1 Medium Onion (roughly chopped)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- Season to taste
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Chili flakes (red pepper flakes)
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 450 ml Beef stock
- 6 Slices Provolone or edam cheese
- Add all of the ingredients to the pot and put the lid on.
- Sert on high pressure for 40 minutes. When the time is up leave under pressure for another 20 minutes
- Release the pressure if necessary and then remove the lid. Now remove the beef to a bowl and shred using 3 forks (reserve the gravy for dipping).
- Add the meat to French bread with melted cheese (or a hoagie sub in the US) and add your desired garnish (usually sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and pickles). Serve and enjoy.
My beef was in fairly small chunks. For larger pieces or even for a full joint, increase the time under pressure to 60 minutes.
I served mine on ciabatta bread rolls, but French bread would also be good.
For some interesting facts about the origin of Italian beef sandwiches, please click here (clue - they are not from Italy!).
I hope you have enjoyed my recipe for instant pot Italian beef sandwich. Please take a look at some of my other great beef recipes:
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave them in the box below and I would be delighted to help.