My instant pot madras is a super spicy copy of the takeaway classic. Warning - this one is HOT!
This is one of the tastiest curry's you will ever try and it's ready in a little over 30 minutes.
Instant pot madras
- 4 tbsb Oil I used groundnut, but most oils will work well.
- 6 Whole Dried chilies I used birds eye.
- 10 Whole Cardamon pods
- 10 Whole Cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- 3 medium Onions (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp Ginger (around a thumb sized piece roughly chopped)
- 9 Cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 3 tbsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- Season to taste
- 908 g Chicken breast (diced)
- 800 g Tinned tomato
- 1 Whole Lemon (juiced) Lime would also work.
- 250 ml Water (boiling)
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- Handful Fresh coriander
- Set the pot to sauté and add the oil.
- Add the chilies, cardamon pods, cloves, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and chili flakes. Toast for a few seconds before adding the onions.
- Fry the onions until softened (around 5 minutes) and then add the ginger and garlic.
- Add the dried spices and season to taste.
- Now add the chicken and coat with the onion mixture.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon juice and water. Stir together and deglaze the pot if necessary.
- Now add the tomato purée. DO NOT STIR.
- Put the lid on and set to high pressure for 8 minutes. When the time is up, leave under pressure for another 8 minutes and then do a quick release.
- When the pin drops, remove the lid and set the pot to sauté. Leave the curry simmering until it reaches the consistency you require (I left it for 5 minutes).
- Serve with boiled rice or Naan bread garnished with the coriander and enjoy..
You could use bone in chicken thighs instead of breast. Just cook for an extra 2 minutes.
For some history of madras curry, please click here.
I hope you have enjoyed my recipe for instant pot madras. Please take a look at some of my other great curry recipes:
- Instant pot chicken jalfrezi
- Instant pot chicken tikka masala
- Instant pot chicken dopiaza
- Instant pot dump and go curry
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave them in the box below and I would be delighted to help.