Who doesn’t love mac n cheese? It’s one of my all-time favourites and a great comfort food. My super simple bung and go instant pot macaroni and cheese is delicious and ready in around 30 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or for busy weekends.
We have one variation of this super versatile recipe nearly every week. I have been making and tweaking this recipe for more than 2 years now as it was one of the first things I made in the instant pot. I think I’ve got this one as good as it gets and I hope you will enjoy it as much as my family.
It’s a little bit dryer than some recipes which is the way I like it, but you could always add more liquid, or reduce the cooking time a little to stop the cheese sauce soaking into the pasta.
Instant pot macaroni and cheese
- 2 tbsp Butter Salted or not depending on your preference. I use salted.
- 750 ml Chicken stock Vegetable stock can be used to make the meal vegetarian.
- 650 g Macaroni Whole wheat can be used - just add 1 minute to cooking time.
- 500 ml Milk I use semi-skimmed (2%), but skimmed would be ok.
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Mustard Any mustard should be good.
- 1 Clove Garlic Crushed. Garlic salt would be ok if you don't have fresh.
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce Optional
- Pepper to taste Optional
- 300 g Cheese I use grated mature cheddar or red Leicester.
- 40 g Parmesan Grated.
- 230 g Cream cheese I use full fat, but half fat would work.
- Add the butter, chicken stock, macaroni, milk, smoked paprika, mustard, garlic, Worcester sauce and pepper to the instant pot and mix thoroughly.
- Set the instant pot to 4 minutes on high pressure. Leave under pressure for another 4 minutes and then perform a quick release (if you quick release earlier it can tend to splatter).
- Remove the lid and add the grated cheddar and parmesan followed by the cream cheese. Stir in well and leave to melt for a couple of minutes. Serve and enjoy.
To view the recipe on Pinterest please click here.